Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Nutcrackers on Parade

To say that my family has a collection of Nutcrackers may be an understatement.  'Brigade' or 'Regiment' might be more appropriate.  Like I suppose all collections do, our Nutcracker collection started as a modest appreciation for the craftsmanship and as I grew up and became more involved in dance and my own performances of The Nutcracker, our collection increased to include a Mouse King nutcracker to commemorate the year I played a mouse, or a fly fisherman Nutcracker to include my dad's love of the hobby.  One summer I spent touring Europe with my high school choir I bought a beautifully carved and pristinely white snowflake Nutcracker from the homeland of Nutcrackers, Germany.
The Magic of Nutcracker website has some interesting facts on the history of these wooden creations:

"According to German folklore, nutcrackers were given as keepsakes to bring good luck to your family and protect your home. The legend says that a nutcracker represents power and strength and serves like a trusty watch dog guarding your family from evil spirits and danger. A fierce protector, the nutcracker bares its teeth to the evil spirits and serves as the traditional messenger of good luck and goodwill."


Our collection has gotten too big to house on just one or two shelves during the holidays when we pull out our festive decor. They've invaded many nooks and crannies, and I wanted to share some of my favorites with you.  If you have a budding ballerina who can't get enough of The Nutcracker, Sugar Plum Fairies, and the like, you may find yourself in the market to start your own collection, or if not, they are always just a fun and festive decoration to deck the halls!

A selection of the brigade....

Firefighters Pirates and Soldiers, oh my!

The two on horses are two of my favorites, they're rather rare and these two keep each other good company

The Snowflake Nutcracker from Germany and one of my favorite "squatty body" Nutcrackers purchased at a Sacramento Ballet Nutcracker performance years ago.

Minis from many nations...

Decking the mantle...



No comments:

Post a Comment