Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Happy 100 Ballerina Birthday!

It's our 100th blog!  Looking back over our past blogs, all the parties, tutus, and glitter and giggles that are found here give me the warm and fuzzies; I just love sharing my love of dance with my students, party clients and you readers, and I'm so glad to have a platform to reach out to all you fellow dance and balletomanes!
So, I figured any milestone deserves a treat, and in this case, I've chosen a cupcake - that is Cupcakes and Conversation via the lovely Ballet News site.  And this is an extra special Cupcakes and Conversation; the interview is with the inspiring Gillian Murphy, currently a guest artist with the Royal New Zealand Ballet and Principal with American Ballet Theatre.  The Cupcakes and Conversation series that Ballet News does is always a wonderful look inside the many artists and companies that contribute amazing things worldwide to the art of dance, and this interview with Ms. Murphy is just delicious.  Below are a few excerpts of the interview - read the full version here.  Enjoy the beautiful photography and interview, and cheers to our 100 posts!


Why ballet ?
“If you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.” That’s the motto plastered across Harley Davidson shirts around the world regarding why people drive motorcycles. In this case, I imagine anyone reading Cupcakes and Conversation gets it. Ballet is a universal language full of incredible grace, athleticism, and artistry. To be a ballet dancer is a privilege, and to dance is to be exhilarated by the joys of movement. It sounds over-the-top, but the feeling of dancing is larger than life. Ballet is my favorite form of expression, and I love that it is a constant balancing act between control and abandon.
Qi Huan and Gillian Murphy - Photograph by Evan Li


How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
I sew ribbons and criss-crossed elastic to my Gaynor Mindens, and then I’m ready to go!  They don’t need to be broken in, and they last quite a while, so I like to wear a new or fairly new pair for performances (so they are nice and clean), and then I’ll continue to wear that pair either for other performances or throughout the rehearsal process.
Gillian Murphy - Photograph by Rosalie O'Connor

Who inspired you to dance ?
I always loved to dance, but seeing videos of many great ballerinas as a young kid inspired me further. Also, I was truly fortunate to have such a supportive family that allowed me to leave home when I was fourteen in order to pursue dance as a potential career.
What is your best piece of advice ?
Get the best training that you can, and also develop your awareness and perspective outside of the studio. Aside from giving you personal fulfillment, your growth as a person will feed your artistry as a dancer so that you can use the structured language of ballet to express the passion and texture of music and your emotions as an individual and/or character.

No comments:

Post a Comment