Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Learning from the Arts

Growing up dance, art, and music was a part of my daily life; it was something I loved, and I was lucky enough to have parents who not only shared my interests, but promoted them.  Now, as a teacher, I love to spout the benefits of art in education.  It's very clear to me how valuable the arts are to not only supplement education, but to jumpstart and encourage the academic endeavors students undertake at any age, whether they're 3 or 18. 
It's always nice to read more on this subject, since it's one that's near and dear to my heart, and last week The Washington Post published this article on Top 10 Skills Children Learn From The Arts, and I wanted to share it here since I thought it makes some great points and reminders that in an ever increasing 'right brain world' that loves technology, the arts, and the skills they provide, can sometimes be lost.  Kids should be able to have as many opportunities as they can get to become successful individuals, and having art in their lives is one sure fire way to encourage their creativity, adaptability, and confidence.
Think dance education should be a regular part of kids lives? There's a new petition, which can be found here, that all US children have access to dance education, at all levels of schooling.  I'll be signing! How about you?!




No comments:

Post a Comment