Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jolie Miette

A few weekends ago my mom and I took a jaunt to the San Francisco Ferry Building and it proved to be both a beautiful and delicious adventure.  I think I've mentioned before that my mom is a fantastic cook and baker, and her latest interest is macaroons.  And what's not to be interested in?  These delicate tasty delights are enjoyed universally, and there are many variations on them from country to country.  North Americans usually associate macaroons with a flour-less coconut cookie (the original recipe was adapted by Italian Jews since it has no flour or leavening and can be eaten during Passover), but my favorites are the French version, which are like mini sandwhiches and so so delicious!  For some more interesting history on macaroons, check out The Nibble.  

So, back to the story.  My Mom had read about a bakery called Miette (which means crumb, or little sweet thing in French) in the Ferry Building famous for their macaroons (click here for their website), so we jetted off to San Francisco one sunny Saturday morning via ferry to seek out some sweets.  And oh, did we find sweets!




Miette's pretty displays of goodies



So Mom and I get to the register and order our macaroons (vanilla, chocolate, almond, and strawberry), but of course our eyes were caught by their beautiful cupcakes and some delicious looking ice cream sandwhiches.



Even the bag was pretty!  So off Mom and I went to enjoy our sweets and the rest of the sights and sounds of the Ferry Building.  I can't help but think what fabulous goodies these macaroons would be for a ballerina birthday!  They are so kid friendly (not too big and relatively mess free) but don't skimp on flavor at all.  They are just perfect in so many ways, and I can't wait to plan a party with some marvelous macaroons!


No comments:

Post a Comment