Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ballet for the Big Kids

I can't believe that January is almost over! I've been trying to check things off my to-do list, and be consistent about putting into place the goals I've set for myself for the new year.  (Some of you might remember the New Year's Goal Frame I did for 2012.  I haven't done one for 2013 but I do have a new set of goals)!
Maybe one of your goals (like mine), is to stay active and healthy; maybe try out some new fitness and exercise regimes and classes.  I've blogged before about what great exercise ballet is at any age, I have many of my adult ballet students tell me that class not only keeps them feeling limber and lithe, but that they're consistently introduced to working new muscles (often ones they didn't realize they had), and that the challenge of a ballet class is something that literally keeps them on their toes.
I found these great blogs about being an adult ballerina, and wanted to share.  
Grown-Ups at the Barre is an excellent resource for those interested, already dabbling, or full-fledged adult balletomanes.  Check out their blog - 100 Reasons to Study Ballet.
Blogger Johanna takes us on her journey as an adult ballerina in her blog Pointe Till You Drop.  She doesn't dance professionally, but has passion and a great appreciation for all things ballet.  I love her entry, Home is Where the Barre Is.

Adult Ballet at St. Paul City Ballet
If you're debating whether to try ballet as an adult, I encourage you to try it!  Trust me, you don't have to wear a tutu, and even if you're an extreme beginner, most teachers are happy to work with you and offer options for exercises that are suited to your needs.  These blogs offer some great insights, and I'm hoping they can help inspire you to take that first class, whatever type of dance it may be!  Have any insights of your own? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment