Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oh Crafty Day! #3 - Votive Tutorial

Yet another crafty creation I did this holiday season for family and friends were these great votives.  Yep, you guessed it, the inspiration came from this Pin, but I did make some adjustments of my own along the way.
These are great just by themselves (who doesn't like to receive the gift of great lighting for a present?), or when paired with some bubble bath, body scrub, a good book, or tea to set the mood for some R&R.  I'm even thinking of making a batch to have on hand to use at my next Ballerina Birthday at the end of the month.  These would look so sweet on a birthday table, along with some festive flowers for table decorations.
This project really couldn't be easier, but does require some patience while waiting for the glue to dry (if you choose to use glue), and anticipate getting glittery.  IT GETS EVERYWHERE!  (But hey, it was Christmas, and if you're going to go overboard on glitter, it might as well be at the holidays, right)?

For these three votives I found used different shapes/sizes to see what I liked.
My favorite ended up being the long cylinder (on the right).  These were
all from the Dollar Store.


Just place double sided tape where you like, cover with glitter, and voila!
I do advise lots of newspaper/scratch paper to catch the glitter!




Instead of buying tea lights separate from the votives, I picked up a pack of 12
votives with candles already ready to go for the next round of decorating.
I also decided in this round to use a glue pen to try different designs
on the votives.  Here are diagonal stripes, but I also did chevrons
and polka dots, so the possibilities are endless!

After you've made your design, just cover in glitter!  Obviously, this
will be a bit messy, but if you let it dry completely (overnight ideally),
and brush the extra glitter off with a toothbrush you should be left with
your glittery design!
You can always go freehand as well! I did just simple designs
by freehand since I didn't trust myself to do anything really fancy, but
if the spirit moves you, go for it! The glue also wipes off pretty easy, so
if you make a mistake you can always start over!


No comments:

Post a Comment