Welcome!

The Ballerina Birthday is an event service based in the San Francisco Bay Area specializing in children's parties for young movers who love to dance, prance, and whirl! We believe that celebrating is best done in a tutu and that shared giggles are the best presents!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Light, Cameras... Beautiful Photography

Last week while attending my course in my Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies with the Royal Academy of Dance in Toronto, Ontario, I spent my days in a beautiful ballet studio (London School of Dance).  It's always fun to visit new studios and see new spaces.  Dancers can be very particular about the spaces they dance in; it needs to be big enough for us to move and travel in grand allegro, and if at all possible, open and inspiring, just like our art is.  I was struck by the photography in the various rooms and studios at London School of Dance.  Take a look at just a few of them that I snapped some photos of.


Photography: Shannon Eckstein

Photography: Shannon Eckstein

Photography: Shannon Eckstein
All these photos were taken by Shannon Eckstein of SilverShadown Photographic Images, who takes light into account in her photos, and as you can see, has gorgeous results.  The top photo was in the studio that I spent my days in last week, and the little girl is just precious, and if you look closely, you'll see a bandage on her chin; the essence of youth right?  The middle photo reminds me of a favorite photo of myself and my good friend Janice, taken a few years ago.


Photography: Brooke Duthie


Admittedly, Janice said that the caption for this photo should be "not that I'm a slave to my phone or anything".  Not that any of us are, right?  This picture was taken in our home studio at Benicia Ballet School, a space where as a child, teen, and now as an adult, I continue to be inspired and feel at home.


It's amazing to me how photography can capture so much: light, inspiration, youth, friendship, and pure love... of dancing, or of the many other things that fill our world.  For more amazing and inspiring photography, check out my blog on The Ballerina Project.

1 comment:

  1. oh i love these pictures .... but i especially love the one of you and janice !!!

    ReplyDelete